Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Good Lie

MPAA Raring: PG-13 for thematic elements, some violence, brief strong language and drug use.
Run Time: 110 minutes
My Rating: 4/5
So tonight my wife and I decided to go and see Alcon Entertainment's The Good Lie starring Reese Witherspoon.  Let me just say, I loved it.  I thought it was a fantastic film and very well made.  The film is based on the true story of The Lost Boys of Sudan.  The film details the events in Africa during 1983-1987 where the North and South of Africa were in a great civil war.  It follows the story of Mamere and his brothers and sister as their village of Sudan is destroyed.  The group of 6 survive the mob and make their way to a Kenyan Refugee Camp.  Along the way they encounter many trials and hardships which shape their lives.  Eventually after 13 years they get the opportunity to go to America where they find employment and obtain an education.  While there they meet employment counselor Carrie Davis (Reese Witherspoon) who changes their lives forever.
So when I first saw the trailer for this movie, I was really excited.  I really like Reese Witherspoon, she hasn't really been in a role like this for a long time, so I was happy to finally see her in the spotlight again.  Now even though the trailer made it seem like Reese Witherspoon has a huge role in the film, that isn't really the case.  It is a marketing ploy by the industry to attract people to their movies by showing big stars in their film.  Now don't get me wrong, when Witherspoon is in the scene she completely nails it and she delivers some of the greatest lines in the movie.  In fact I think this is her greatest performance to date since she played June Carter Cash in 2005's Walk the Line.
The film has so many things which works for it.  The cast is impeccable.  Besides Witherspoon there really isn't any recognizable cast members.  Those playing The Lost Boys of Sudan are amazing and completely make the show.  As you see them interact with each other, both as children and as adults, your heart melts for their story.  They also provide some comedic humor as they try to integrate themselves into American customs. Another thing that works well for the film is the emotion that is brought out by each character and situation.  You can tell from the very beginning of the film that emotion will play a huge part in the film and it does throughout.  The film tackles real life issues as it shows the harsh realities of what life was like in Africa, but also the harsh realities of living in America.
Though I loved the film, the film still has shortcomings.  One thing that I felt is that the film was slow.  For a film under two hours, it moved at a slow pace.  That necessarily isn't a bad thing, but it is something to be aware of.  Also I left the film wanting more.  I wanted to know more of the story.  The trailers made it seem that there was this huge struggle that was going to happen, but the struggle isn't really represented as much as what I thought it was going to be.  Most of the struggle is briefly mentioned, but not really displayed, it is kind of glossed over.  Also for parents who are thinking that this is a good show to take kids to, I wouldn't recommend it.  There is nothing bad about the film content wise, but they may get bored due to the slow pace of the film and the lack of humor or action.
Overall I think this is a film that people should go see.  It is very inspirational and heartwarming.  It is nice to see a movie like this at the box office since there hasn't really been much of its kind lately.  If you are looking for just a feel-good show and to be inspired, The Good Lie is definitely the one to go see.
Thanks again for reading, if you have any questions or comments just let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment