Saturday, November 15, 2014

Dumb and Dumber To

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for crude and sexual humor, partial nudity, language and some drug references.
Run Time: 110 minutes
My Rating: 3/5
So today I decided to go see Universal Pictures' Dumb and Dumber To starring Jim Carrey (The Incredible Burt Wonderstone) and Jeff Daniels (The Newsroom).  A sequel to the 1994 smash hit Dumb and Dumber, the film takes place 20 years after the end of the first movie.  When Harry (Jeff Daniels) finds a postcard saying that he has a 22 year old daughter, Harry and his best friend Lloyd (Jim Carrey) set off to try to find her.  Along the way, they run into many obstacles and enemies.  However through all of that, these two prove that no matter what happens a true friend will always have your back.
The first thing that you have to know is that if you are going to this movie to expect the greatness that was the original, you will not find it in this movie.  That is not to say that this film isn't funny, because it it, but it just isn't as memorable as the first one was.  I feel like this movie was trying so hard to match the original, that it really didn't find its own voice.  I mean it was fantastic seeing Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunn on the big screen again, but I wanted something special from this film and it just wasn't there.  For something that took 20 years to make I just thought that it would be a more magical event than it actually was.  However, it definitely had its moments though.
Like I said before seeing Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunn on the screen again was something great to see.  After the monstrosity that was Dumb and Dumberer, the 2003 prequel, seeing Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels reprise their roles after so long was spectacular.  They jumped right back into the roles that made the two so famous and it looks as though they haven't aged a day.  Their chemistry on screen is remarkable and is definitely what keeps the film together.  I have to admit though the greatest part about this film is that it doesn't rely heavily on sexual innuendos as we have come to see in recent years surrounding the comedic genre.  This film is definitely a throwback to the comedic style of the early 90's and it is nice to see that again after so long.
Overall, the film was good.  I liked it.  I probably laughed at a lot more things than I should have, but I have ti admit that it kept me entertained throughout.  It definitely isn't the best film in theaters right now, but if you are fans of the first film, I definitely would recommend you check this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment