Friday, March 25, 2016

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

MPAA Rating: PG - 13 for intense sequences of violence and action throughout, and some sensuality
Run Time: 151 Minutes
My Rating: 4.5/5
Hey everyone, I know I have been saying this a lot this year, but this semester of school has been kicking my butt and even though I have seen movies this semester, I just have not had the time to write my reviews.  I hope to get back into the swing of things this weekend, so please forgive me. Also, if there are past movies that you want to see but I haven't posted a review of, feel free to email me or comment below and I will let you know exactly what I thought of the movie in question. With that said, lets get into my review of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.
Following the events of Man of Steel and his destruction of Metropolis, many people are questioning whether Superman is this hero they have been hoping for or a monster.  No one questions this more than Bruce Wayne a.k.a Batman.  Now 2 years later, with vengeance in mind, Bruce Wayne is ready to get rid of Superman once and for all.  However, another businessman Lex Luthor has his own plan put into place to destroy both heroes.  Now, with a greater evil among them, Batman and Superman must put aside their differences to save mankind from a new villain.
Overall, I thought the film was great in the sense that it does its job perfectly, but just good as a movie altogether.  With that said, I am giving it the rating that I am because of the film does its job and does it well.  The whole point of this film is to set up the DC Movie Universe. It is basically the prequel to the future Justice League movies. It introduces us to all the Justice League members in one way or another including a new Batman (Ben Affleck) and a glorified cameo by Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot).  It sets up future stories and a direction for the next couple of years which is a darker more serious superhero universe than we get from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  Personally, I don't mind the darker tone, because I feel like it is a great contrast to the Marvel Universe and shows that even though DC is late to the game on their superheros, they are not just trying to imitate Marvel, but trying to do their own thing.
With that said, even though the film did a great job in terms of its purpose, the film as a whole was just good.  One thing for me, is that this film is definitely a Batman movie with Superman being a supporting star. This is definitely Batman's journey as he tries to figure out his place in a world where aliens are now on Earth.  As a major Superman fan this kind of bugged me. Also, I felt the film's major flaw was that it tried to incorporate so much into its story and it cuts back and forth so much that the overall story gets lost for a little bit, but then comes around towards the end of the film.
Overall, this film was quite enjoyable and one though has its flaws, does exactly what is was meant to do.  Though it isn't the best film in the world, we have to remember that Marvel has given us some crap in the past (i.e. The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2). This film is a beautiful film to watch and one that sets up an exciting new universe for moviegoers to explore.  In my opinion, you should definitely give this film a shot and if you don't like it then it will save you from 11 other planned movies over the next couple of years.

Thanks for reading!!! If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment