Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Shaun the Sheep Movie

MPAA Rating: PG for rude humor
Run Time: 85 Minutes
My Rating: 3/5
So today I saw Lionsgate and Aardman Animations' Shaun the Sheep Movie.  The film comes from the same studio that brought us Wallace and Gromit and Chicken Run.  The film tells the story of Shaun the Sheep who is tired of his same old boring routine. Hoping to finally have a day off, he decides to put matters into his own hands.  However, after a prank gone wrong, he and his friends must venture into the big city in order to save his farm.
So I thought this film was very entertaining and very cute.  I have always been a fan of Aardman Animations, as I grew up watching their television shows.  Since they have tried to expand their products to the big screen, I believe that they have been very successful.  With that being said, this film is definitely not for everyone and in reality it doesn't try to be.  It plays big on its brand and the nostalgia factor and knows that most of the audience will be people like me bringing their kids to the film. That is why I believe that adults will probably find this film more entertaining than the children.  The kids will like watching Shaun and his friends' crazy antics, but most of the humor in the film will mostly be understood by the adults more than the kids.  With that being said, this is still a fantastic kids film that parents will certainly enjoy.  In fact, there were more adults laughing than kids in my screening.
Another reason why this film is good is that there is absolutely no talking.  The entire film lives and dies on the actions of the characters alone.  This is a huge risk, especially for a kids film, but this film does it spectacularly.  Even though there is no talking, the audience can fully understand exactly what the characters are trying to say.  It is an incredible feat for the studio and is one reason why this film is great.
Even with all of these great aspects, the film still falls short on a few things.  First, the plot is very dull and in my opinion stretched way too thin.  There have been many other films that have used the same plot devices with better outcomes.  Also, I felt that most of the movies better aspects were portrayed in the trailer, so if you haven't seen a trailer then this won't be a problem for you.
Overall I thought this film was good, but not great.  I commend Aardman Animations on it great effort and beautiful animation.  Though it may not be their best animated movie in my opinion, this was still very enjoyable and brought me back to my childhood.  This is a film both parents and kids will enjoy.

Thanks again for reading!!!  If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, a lot of people around me are talking about this movie. I would like to add this to my watch list. I recently added shows by Andy Yeatman as well. I know that these are going to teach a lot of good things to me kids. This is why I want to add this fun movie as well.

    ReplyDelete