Friday, March 13, 2015

Cinderella

MPAA Rating: PG for mild thematic elements.
Run Time: 112 Minutes
My Rating: 5/5
So today my wife and I saw Walt Disney Pictures' Cinderella starring Lily James (Downton Abbey), Richard Madden (HBO's Game of Thrones), Cate Blanchett (The Lord of the Rings Saga), and Helena Bonham Carter (Les Miserables).  The film is the next installment in Disney's live-action re-imaginings of its classic animated movies.  It tells the tale of Ella, a young girl, whose father remarries after the tragic death of her mother. Welcoming her new step-mother and step-sisters with open arms, Ella finds herself at the mercy of her new family after the sudden passing of her father. Now, as time has moved on, Ella has become nothing more than a servant girl covered in ashes and humiliatingly renamed Cinderella because of her new-found appearance.  However, with the help of her fairy-godmother, Cinderella is able to experience her "Happily Ever After" as she fulfills the promise that she made with her mother to "have courage and be kind."
So I don't know if I'm biased (seeing as Cinderella was always present in my childhood because it was my mom's favorite movie), but I absolutely loved this film.  I personally believe that this is the best live-action film adaption of Disney's classic animated movies so far, though this version is pretty much a straight re-telling of the classic compared to last year's Maleficent.  However, this version brings just the right amount of new material to justify it being made.  Probably the best of the new material is the inclusion of Cinderella's mother at the beginning.  It was so nice to see Cinderella as a normal child instead of just being a servant girl.  It brought a lot more emotion to the film and introduced the film's greatest lesson that when we "have courage and be kind" we can achieve our "Happily Ever After." The film also introduces the social and political agendas within the characters which gives more depth to the story.
Another one of my personal beliefs about this film (and I know I am talking about this way too soon) is that I would be shocked if it didn't make a run at the Academy Awards next year in multiple categories.  Some of the categories that I think for sure it will be in contention is (1) Best Costume Design, (2) Best Production Design, (3) Best Makeup and Hair styling, and (4) Best Original Score. However, I also believe that Cate Blanchett could be nominated for Best Supporting Actress.  She does an amazing job along with the rest of the cast.  There is just so much that works for this film that it is a wonder to watch.  The film is vibrant and stunning that I honestly can't think of anything bad to say about it.  It is just that good.
So as if you couldn't tell, I loved this film.  This is great film for the entire family to watch.  As the film was ending the entire audience in our theater was clapping.  I would definitely recommend this film for all to watch and enjoy.  This film is truly magical and instills upon all audience members that "Happily Ever After's" do exist as long as we "have courage and be kind."

P.S. As if you didn't know already, Disney has placed a Frozen Short Film in front of Cinderella featuring all of your favorite characters and a brand-new song.  This definitely has the same greatness as the 2013 animated film and the song has the potential to be the next "Let It Go."  I would not be surprised if this film is nominated for Best Animated Short Film next year.

Thanks again for reading!!  If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment