Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Home

MPAA Rating: PG for mild action and some rude humor.
Run Time: 94 Minutes
My Rating: 3.5/5
So tonight my wife and I saw Dreamworks Animation's Home starring the voice talents of Jim Parsons (CBS' The Big Bang Theory), Rihanna (Battleship), Steve Martin (Cheaper by the Dozen), and Jennifer Lopez (Monster-in-Law).  The film follows the story of Oh, an alien from another planet, who finds himself on Earth and on the run from his own people.  While hiding from those that want to destroy him, he forms an unlikely friendship with Tip, a young girl on her own quest to find her mom.  While the two decide to help each other, Oh discovers that there is more to the human race and his own race than what he thought. However, as Oh's and Tip's friendship grows they discover what it truly means to be Home!!!
So I thought that this film was great.  It had a lot of entertaining moments and some great jokes.  However, the best part about this film is the amazing voice talents from all of its actors. Each actor puts their own spin on their characters that makes them lovable in their own way.  Probably the greatest voice talent comes from Jim Parsons.  If you love his role as Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory, you will love this film.  He is perfect for comedic relief in the film and there are a few moments in the film where I could see the same thing happening the Sheldon. This is Jim Parsons' second attempt at animated voice work and from what I see, I love it.  He does such a good job and I personally hope this becomes a franchise because I want to see more of it. Another great thing about the film was the music.  Both Rihanna and Jennifer Lopez wrote new songs for the film and they bring great power to it.  I had heard these songs before I saw the film and thought they were ok,  However since seeing the film, I have a new appreciation for these songs and think that they are stunning.
Though the voice talent was incredible and the music was great, there was still one thing I that did not like about the film.  Though I thought that Jim Parsons did a great job, I felt the film relied too heavily on his brand of humor and did not let the other characters shine as much as they could have. Personally I believe Steve Martin is one of the greatest comedians of our time, but unfortunately he was not given material to truly show his greatness.
Overall, I thought the film was very entertaining.  This is a great film for kids and for parents.  It teaches just how important the family truly is.  Though this is not my favorite film that Dreamworks Animation has made, I do believe that this is a great one to add to the collection.  My suggestion is that if you have time, you should go see this film because you will most likely have a great time and enjoy yourself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment