Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Do You Believe?

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for thematic elements, an accident sequence and some violence.
Run Time:120 Minutes
My Rating: 4.5/5
So tonight my wife and I saw Pure Flix Entertainment's Do You Believe? starring Mira Sorvino (TNT's Falling Skies), Sean Astin (The Lord of the Rings Trilogy), Alexa Penavega (Spare Parts), Cybill Shepherd (USA's Psych), and Madison Pettis (Disney Jr.'s Jake and the Neverland Pirates). The film follows the story of 12 different people who are all on different paths, but each coming face to face with the one of life's more important questions "Do you believe?".  While each searching for something more out of life than what they already have, their live's unexpectedly intersect.  As this happens all 12 of them must discover what the cross of Christ means to them.  This discovery leads them to touch the hearts of those around them, helping to forward God's great plan of happiness.
Personally, I thought this film was fantastic.  The film had so much going for it that I don't know where to start.  First the plot was great.  The thing I liked most about it was that there was something that everyone in the audience could relate to.  This is no small-feat, but the film does so with grace and ease.  The film has been compared to the 2006 Oscar-winning Best Picture "Crash, but for Christians and I completely agree with that comparison.  This film has a lot of the same elements as the Oscar-winning film, but with this film's new perspective brought an intriguing new element.  Next, I thought that the cast did an amazing job and should be praised for it.  They all worked so well together and with the script, it felt like their characters were actual people.  It is nice to see big-name actors taking roles like this and seeing them in this capacity makes them seem more relateable.  Finally, I thought that the film's message and theme was so inspiring.  After watching the film, I can't help but look to my own life and see how much I can improve.  I think this goes to show just how powerful this film is.  This film makes you want to be a better person and that in and of itself makes the movie worth it.
Although I thought that the film was fantastic, there was one thing that bothered me while I was watching the film.  Though I loved how the movie showed the lives of 12 different people and their circumstances, I felt that the transitions between person to person could have been better. Overall, it wasn't a big deal, but just something that I noticed.
As if you couldn't tell, I loved this film.  I would recommend anyone to go and see it.  Now with that being said, you must know before going in that this is a Christian film.  So there will be a lot of talk about God and religion.  If that is not for you, then you will not like it.  However, if that does not bother you, this is definitely a film you should see.  Though it is rated PG-13 and does have some intense moments, I do feel like this is a film for the entire family and everyone can benefit from watching it.

Thanks again for reading!! If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment