Saturday, September 26, 2015

Everest

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for intense peril and disturbing images
Run Time: 121 Minutes
My Rating: 5/5
So today I saw Universal Pictures and Walden Media's Everest starring Jake Gyllenhaal (Southpaw), Jason Clarke (Zero Dark Thirty), John Hawkes (Lincoln), Sam Worthington (Avatar), Josh Brolin (True Grit), Emily Watson (The Theory of Everything), and Keira Knightley (The Imitation Game). The film tells the true story of a group of climbers in 1996 who begin their summit up Mount Everest. However, with very little warning, they are hit with a massive storm that forces the climbers to face one of the fiercest blizzards in history.  With this unbearable obstacle before them, the climbers must fight for their lives in order to survive against nearly impossible odds.
So I absolutely loved this film.  From it's opening credits, I was hooked.  In my opinion, this is one of the most thrilling and exciting movies that has been made in a long time.  The film has so many positive aspects.  One of its greatest aspects comes from the incredible cast.  Every actor brings so much power and raw emotion to their performances that within minutes of meeting them you already are cheering for them and feel connected to them.  Another great thing about this film is its incredible story.  For the most part you know exactly what is going to happen by the end of the film, but for some reason my heart was still beating out of my chest throughout the entire film.  I couldn't believe it.  Finally, the film's greatest feat is the incredible cinematography.  The camera angle and the beautiful scenery definitely brings the thrill and excitement to the film.  Seeing the characters at the brink of death in some of the harshest conditions imaginable is truly stunning to see.  I personally believe that the cinematographer deserves much praise for his work.  It is truly incredible.
Though I absolutely loved the film, its biggest flaw (which really isn't that big) is the pace of the film. For the most part, the film moves at a pretty slow pace in order to set up the story so the film seems a lot longer than it is.  For me it wasn't a huge deal, but I did hear a lot of people in my audience complain that it felt too long.
Overall, I loved this film.  This is a fantastic adventure that I think everyone will love.  There are some disturbing images that might frighten some younger audiences, so I would caution bringing younger kids.  This is one of the best films in theaters right now and I hope that you take the opportunity to see it because you will not regret it!!!

Thanks again for reading!!!  If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment