Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Risen

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for Biblical violence including some disturbing images
Run Time: 107 Minutes
My Rating: 3.5/5
So Saturday my daughter and I saw Affirm Films' Risen starring Joseph Fiennes (FX's American Horror Story) and Tom Felton (The Harry Potter Franchise).  Telling from the point of view of a Roman soldier, Risen tells the story of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ and the manhunt that occurred after Christ's body went missing from his tomb.
So I really liked this film.  Before I saw it, I was really excited to see it because I felt like it was a new take on the Christ story.  With that said, it definitely was unique and very interesting.  I think that is one of the film's greatest assets and selling points.  Though the story of Risen is fiction, there is no reason why it couldn't of been true. Everything that happens in the movie has the possibility to have happened.  I love this aspect of it because it is a story that has never been done before and it shows the Resurrection in a completely different life and gives it a whole new meaning.  Besides the incredible story, the actors do an amazing as well.  Joseph Fiennes is spectacular and completely makes the film.  In all reality, this film could have been a complete disaster, but Joseph Fiennes' performance holds the film together and makes it worthwhile.
Though the story and actors make the film great, there are two major flaws that the film faces.  One is that the pacing of the film makes it seem very long.  The film movies at a very slow pace and I thought that I had been in the theater forever.  It's second flaw is that it wasn't as uplifting as I thought it was going to be.  The parts that I thought they would expound on were rushed which I felt deterred from the story's message.
Overall, I thought the film was good and one that the Christian community would enjoy.  It is a very unique story and the acting is incredible.  If you are looking for good Christian entertainment, this is definitely the film for you!!

Thanks again for reading!!!  If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment