Saturday, February 6, 2016

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for zombie violence and action, and brief suggestive material
Run Time: 108 Minutes
My Rating: 3/5
So last night I saw Screen Gems' and Lionsgate's Pride and Prejudice and Zombies starring Lily James (Cinderella), Sam Riley (Maleficent), and Bella Heathcote (Dark Shadows).  It takes the classic tale from author Jane Austen about complicated relationships among the different social classes, but puts a new spin on things by placing Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy in danger of becoming infected by a deadly virus that turns those infected into zombies.
So, I was incredibly surprised by how enjoyable this movie was. Now, its definitely not the best movie I have ever seen or even the best horror movie I have ever seen, but it was quite fun and entertaining 2 hours.  Though it wasn't the scariest film out there, it did have its moments and actually used its material very effectively.  I think this mainly has to do with the dedication of the actors and actresses involved.  Let's be honest, the concept of the film is pretty hilarious and I don't think any of us would have been bugged had the actors not taken this as serious as other films, but thankfully they do and it definitely comes across in the final product.  Trust me, if it wasn't for them, this film would be more ridiculous than it already is. However, I must give the film credit because it embraces its ridiculousness and does so with enough class that even Jane Austen would be proud.  
Though the actors and actresses do amazing jobs, even they couldn't completely save this film.  The biggest problem that this film faces is sadly its source material and getting its audience on board with it.  As mentioned above, the concept of this film is pretty ridiculous, but if audiences can just give it a chance, like I did, then they will actually be able to enjoy it.  However, that is a big task given its concept, but hopefully audiences will give it a chance.
Overall, I thought Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was quite entertaining and definitely worth the price of admission.  This definitely isn't a film for everyone, but if you are even remotely interested, I urge you to go see it.  This is one that is easy to ignore, but I promise you to give it a chance because you won't be disappointed!!

Thanks again for reading!!!  If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!

2 comments: