Friday, September 26, 2014

The Boxtrolls

MPAA Rating: Rated PG for action, some peril and mild rude humor.
Run Time: 97 minutes
My Rating: 3/5
Well hello again everyone, I just got out of Focus Features and Laika's The Boxtrolls.  I can honestly say this is the first time in a long time that I have walked out at the conclusion of a movie and be completely speechless.  Now I am not saying that is a good thing or a bad thing.  The Boxtrolls is about a boy named Eggs, who grows up underground in the sewers of England with the boxtrolls, miniature creatures who characterize themselves with boxes that they wear.  Suddenly their home under the city is being threatened by Archibald Snatcher, portrayed by the magnificent (Ben Kingsley), who is trying to destroy the boxtrolls in order to gain power and authority in the small English village.  It is up to Eggs, his new friend Winnie, and his family of boxtrolls to save their lives and to finally become heroes instead of the monsters that they have been portrayed to be.
There are many good things that The Boxtrolls has to offer.  The stop-motion animation is amazing.  This is from the same animated studio that brought both 2009's Coraline and 2012's Paranorman.  I was a huge fan of Coraline and so I was excited to see the film.  The animation did not disappoint.  Now I know that this type of animation isn't for everyone and that is fine, it is unique, but personally I really like it.  If you are still wary about animation I recommend this short behind the scenes clip of the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2f1tCI9YbY
Besides the animation, The Boxtrolls brings many important values and life lessons to the table.  One value that it presents is the love of family.  It shows multiple sides of family issues.  It shows what happens when families get ignored, what happens when families get in trouble, and what happens when family is all you've got.  These issues bring much spirit and life to the film.  Another value that the movie brings is the fact that power never brings happiness.  There are so many symbols of what the movie's villain sees as power and each one of these symbols are only material possessions.  The movie shows that these symbols of power don't bring happiness, but in the end are the undoing of all that is great.
Though there are many great things to say about The Boxtrolls, but I have to admit that while I was watching the movie I saw that this show definitely isn't for the faint at heart.  Though the animation is spectacular, there are some instances in the film where some kids may be frightened or grossed-out by what they see.  Some of the characters eat bugs and one character gets bloated because things that he eats.  These things happen sparingly throughout the film, but if you have kids that have weak stomachs, then you should be cautious about the film.  Also another thing that parents should know is that the movie doesn't really have much to offer comedy-wise for kids.  There is a lot of humor in the film that really only adults will understand.
Overall, I liked The Boxtrolls.  It wasn't the greatest animated film that I have seen, but it definitely kept me entertained.  I am sure kids will enjoy it better than parents, but it is a good family movie at a time where there isn't much out for the whole family to watch.  To be honest, I don't expect The Boxtrolls to be the next big animated feature event, but it will be an entertaining movie for the kids.
Thanks again for reading and if you have any questions or comments just let me know.  Have a great weekend!!!

1 comment:

  1. I was so curious about this movie because it seems I started seeing trailers for it over a year ago! Nice to know it turned out decent:)

    ReplyDelete