Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Maze Runner

Rated PG-13 for thematic elements and intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, including some disturbing images.
Run Time: 113 minutes
My Rating: 4/5
Hey everyone,
So this weekend my wife and I went and saw 20th Century Fox's The Maze Runner - an Action, Mystery, Sci-Fi Thriller based upon the New York Times Best-Selling Young Adult Book of the same name, by author James Dashner.  The movie was directed by Wes Ball.   
The Maze Runner is about a group of teenage boys who are trapped in what is called "The Glade." They have no recollection of their past lives.  The only thing that they remember is their name.  Once a month a new boy comes into "The Glade" and adapts to their lifestyle.  They have established a community where each boy does their duty.  "The Glade" is surrounded by a giant maze that opens and closes each night.  During the day some of the boys enter to maze to try to find a way out.  At night the maze is inhabited by "Grievers," mechanical beast-like creatures, whose stings can be deadly.  For 3 years the boys have lived like this until one day a boy named Thomas (Dylan O'Brien) comes into "The Glade" and then everything changes.  He holds a secret that may help the boys get out of maze, but the only setback is if he can remember it.  
Personally, I thought The Maze Runner was great.  It was a nice, refreshing experience into the Young Adult genre.  One thing that makes it so refreshing is the male protagonist, something that has been greatly missed in the genre since Harry Potter.  Women protagonists have dominated the genre for years with the successes of The Hunger Games, Divergent, and Twilight franchises.  The movie provides great suspense throughout the film and an appealing story line that makes the 2 hours seem like a breeze.  In fact I was on the edge of my seat most of the time.  The movie's cast is excellent.  None of the actors starring in the film are hugely well-known and sometimes their dialogue drags them down, but overall they make the story.  They are believable, memorable, and together they definitely make the movie.  
For those that have read the book, there may be some disappointment.  I just read the book at the beginning of the year and I loved it.  There are some changes that you should be aware of, especially regarding the climax of the film.  I don't want to give away too much since if I do I will greatly spoil the movie, but just know that if you have read it the book, expect some major differences.  This was one reason that I didn't like the film, but I also understand that not everything in the book can be put into the movie.  
Overall though I thought the movie was well-made and very entertaining.  I personally would see this movie again.  It was just announced that the sequel, The Scorch Trials, will be adapted and coming to screens exactly a year from now on September 18, 2015.  
Thanks everyone for reading and if you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know.

1 comment: