Tuesday, September 23, 2014

This Is Where I Leave You

MPAA Rating: R for language, sexual content and some drug use. (Recommend seeing kidsinmind.com for more details).
Running Time: 103 minuts
My Rating: 2/5
So my wife and I just got back from Warner Bro's This is Where I Leave You, directed by Shawn Levy and starring Jason Bateman, Tina Fey, Jane Fonda, and Rose Byrne.  I'd like to start my review by stating the movie's tagline..."Welcome home. Get uncomfortable."  Let me just say being uncomfortable is right.  Just minutes into the movie the uncomfortable feelings begin and they don't end until the credits roll.  The movie is about a family that is finally under the same roof again after 10 years.  They are brought together in mourning the recent death of their father.  One brother is divorcing his wife for cheating on him; one brother and his wife are trying to get pregnant, the youngest brother has never grown up, the sister is still in love with her ex and her husband never gives her the time of day and the mother has too many secrets up her sleeve and is not afraid to be frank and open whenever she wants.  All of these aspects come to the forefront of the movie at some point and it just makes for one awkward situation after another.  Unfortunately these awkward situations get less funny as the time goes on.  
When I first saw the trailer for the movie, I was really excited.  I for one love Jason Bateman and Tina Fey and to see that they would be in the same movie together I was really happy.  The trailer also made the film out to be a comedy, but let me just say that it is far away from a straight out comedy.  There is a lot of drama which really threw me for a loop.  The comedy styling of two of my favorite comedians wasn't able to be up to their full potential.  So maybe I didn't like the film because I was expecting something different, but putting that aside the movie never really lived up to its potential.  Also I feel like the movie was just a repeat of last year's Oscar nominated movie August Osage County starring Meryl Streep, but unfortunately for This is Where I Leave You, it didn't have the same touch or power as the former Oscar nominee.
Now don't get me wrong there was a lot of things in this film that worked.  The chemistry between the cast works perfectly.  Let's be honest, the cast is awesome.  Some of my favorite actors and actresses, but unfortunately the story and script just didn't provide them with the quality of work they deserve.  Also my wife really enjoyed how real the family was to life.  They aren't your squeaky clean family, which shows a great life lesson that not everyone is perfect and everyone has their own problems and secrets no matter what they may decide to show on the outside.
Overall, the show wasn't for me.  Whether it was because I was expecting something different or because the show really wasn't that good, I still wouldn't recommend this show.  But as always it is your decision and you can make your own choices.
Thanks again for reading and if you have any comments or suggestions I would love to hear them!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment