Friday, December 19, 2014

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

MPAA Rating:  PG-13 for extended sequences of intense fantasy action violence, and frightening images.
Run Time: 144 Minutes
My Rating: 4.5/5
So yesterday, I went and saw New Line Cinema's The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies starring Ian McKellan (The Lord of the Rings), Martin Freeman (Sherlock), and Richard Armitage (Captain America: The First Avenger).  The movie is the final chapter in The Hobbit Trilogy and the Middle Earth Mythology.  It takes place directly after The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug with Smaug, the dragon, on his way to destroy the city of Lake Town after the Dwarfs have released him from the mountain.  After their city is destroyed the people of Lake Town head to the mountain to claim what they deserve from the Dwarfs in order to rebuild their city.  Along with the people of Lake Town, the Elves and Orcs head to the mountain upon hearing of the Dwarfs new possession of the mountain and its treasure, in order to claim it as their own.  What ensues is one of the greatest battles in cinematic history.
So I actually loved this film.  It was entertaining and action-packed.  This film had so much going for it, it is difficult to decide where to start first.  I guess I will begin with the story.  The story taught many great life lessons that everyone should learn.  Some of these lessons included but are not limited to: the effect that power and greed can have on the soul, the importance of friendship, and the power of setting aside differences for the greater cause.  There are just some of the valuable life lessons that one can learn from this film alone.  Another thing that I thought was great was the cinematography and  the choreography in the film.  Honestly seeing the different armies in their battle formations is spectacular in and of itself.  Watching how on point they all are and our in sync they are is awesome.  Probably the last hour of the film is just a giant battle and it was amazing to watch.  It is probably one of the best battles that has ever been on the big screen.  It is definitely something to see.
So though I really liked this film, there was just one thing that I really did not like.  It really doesn't have to deal with this movie specifically, but The Hobbit Trilogy as a whole.  I will tell you I was really excited when I heard the news that they were adapting The Hobbit for the big screen.  Then I heard the news that it was going to be 2 films and I was still excited about it.  Then I heard that they had decided to stretch the book out into 3 films and I was nervous.  I mean The Hobbit book is about 100-150 fewer than any of the Lord of the Rings books and they only had 1 movie each.  So when the first movie came out I saw how much new things they added to story and I was okay with, but it still bugged me.  Then the second move and this movie came out and I saw all that they added and though I enjoyed them as films, they still bugged me as an avid reader and J.R. Tolkien fan.  In reality the only reason I have been bugged is because I feel like The Hobbit book is one of the greatest books ever written and unfortunately those that only watch the films and the new generations that come that don't read, will never be able to understand how amazing J.R. Tolkien and his writings truly are because they have been changed so much.  So that is my mini-rant, but like I said it doesn't really have to deal with the movie, but just my own opinions.
So if you have enjoyed The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit films, this is definitely a film that you should go see.  Even if you are just into action then you will still find this film to be entertaining.  I really enjoyed the film and I personally believe it to be the best one in the trilogy.

Thanks again for reading, if you have any questions, ideas or comments, just let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment