Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Imitation Game

MPAA Rating:PG-13 for some sexual references, mature thematic 
material and historical smoking.
Run Time: 114 Minutes
My Rating: 4/5
So tonight my wife and I went and saw The Weinstein Company's The Imitation Game starring Benedict Cumberbatch (BBC's Sherlock) and Keira Knightley (Pirates of the Caribbean).  The film details the true life story of Alan Turing, the legendary crypt-analyst, and his brilliant team of masterminds as they work as code-breakers for British Government during World War II.  The film details the struggles that Alan Turing faced during his life as a child, during the war, and after the war.  
So I thought the film was well made and very interesting.  With the assignment that Alan Turing and his team was given being top-secret, the knowledge of this extraordinary feat has not been widely known for too long.   It was interesting how it all came together and how important this one assignment was in World War II and we never even knew about it.  It just shocks me how it all played out.  Probably the greatest thing about the film is the performances by Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley. Their performances are breathtaking and Oscar-worthy.  There is so much to enjoy about their performances that even when the dialogue gets a little shaky, they help smooth things over.  It is their performances that make the movie as good as it is.  Without them, the movie would be just like any other film.
Although I thought the film was great, there was one thing that I really didn't like.  So as I said before the film shows Alan Turing's life when he was in school, during the war, and a life event after the war.  For me personally, I felt like the part when he was in school and the life event after the war weren't really necessary to the film.  Especially when all advertising for the film focused on the events during the war, I just felt like the other parts just didn't serve a purpose in telling such a fantastic story.  In my opinion the scenes were used more for propaganda than anything else, but then again that is my opinion.
Overall, I thought that the film was great.  I was entertained the whole movie and completely intrigued by the story.  This definitely is a must-see for history buffs, World War II enthusiasts, or those interested in puzzles and games.  I would definitely recommend this movie for those people to see. 

Thanks again for reading.  If you have any questions, comments or ideas just let me know!!!

1 comment: