Saturday, December 27, 2014

Unbroken

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for war violence including intense sequences 
of brutality, and for brief language.
Run Time: 137 Minutes
My Rating: 5/5
So today we went and saw Universal Pictures' Unbroken starring Jack O'Connell (300: Rise of an Empire), Domhnall Gleeson (About Time), Garrett Hedlund (Tron: Legacy), and Jai Courtney (Divergent).  The film was directed by Angelina Jolie-Pitt in her directorial debut.  The film tells the true story of Louis Zamperini,  a U.S. Olympic athlete who joins the Armed Forces during World War II.  During the war his plane goes down in the ocean and he is lost at sea for weeks.  Eventually being captured by the Japanese Navy, he faces many forms of torture as he waits in hope of the war to end. 
This film was absolutely amazing.  In her first directorial debut, Angelina Jolie-Pitt does a fantastic job.  Her vision of Louis Zamperini is inspiring and breathtaking.  One of her greatest assets in the film is the spectacular performance by Jack O'Connell.  He gives an amazing portrayal of Louis Zamperini.  Angelina Jolie-Pitt probably could have contracted any other actor to portray Louis, but no other actor could have truly captured Louis Zamperini's spirit the same way that Jack O'Connell does.  This may not be the best performance of the year, but it definitely is one that you should miss.  Another great asset to the film was that the real Louis Zamperini actually helped in the production of the film.  He gave a lot of insight to Angelina Jolie-Pitt about his life and with his help it brings a lot more power to the film.  Finally, another asset that the film has is the emotion that it brings to each and every audience member especially that have suffered or know people who have suffered for something that they believe in deeply.  Seeing Louis Zamperini tortured and attacked for sticking up for his country and its values is absolutely heartbreaking.  For me as I was watching the film it truly made me so proud to be an American and so grateful for all those men and women who have fought for this country that I love so dear.  
Although it didn't bother me, I do want to warn all those that go see it that though there isn't any blood, there are a lot of things in the film that may be difficult to watch if you have a weak stomach.  Like I said it didn't bother me, but it may be bothersome for people. 
Also another note, I have not yet read the book that the film is based upon, so I don't really know how it compares.  From what I have heard the book is way better, but that is true is almost every case.  So just be aware that if you have read the book, you may not feel the same about the movie.  
Overall, I loved this film.  It was a great way for me to spend my afternoon.  It was entertaining and very inspiring.  This film is definitely a must-see for those that have time this holiday season.  This may not be the greatest film for everyone in the family to see, but it definitely is one everyone should see at some point in their life.  

Thanks again for reading!! If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment