Monday, June 1, 2015

Aloha

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for some language including suggestive comments
Run Time: 105 Minutes
My Rating: 3.5/5
So this weekend my wife and I saw Columbia Pictures' Aloha starring Bradley Cooper (American Sniper), Emma Stone (The Amazing Spiderman), Rachel McAdams (The Vow), John Krasinski (NBC's The Office), Danny McBride (This Is The End), Bill Murray (St. Vincent), and Alec Baldwin (NBC's 30 Rock). The film was directed by Cameron Crowe (Jerry McGuire).  The film tells the story of Brian Gilcrest (Bradley Cooper), a celebrated military contractor, who returns to the place of his greatest achievement, Honolulu, Hawaii.  While there he is forced to confront details of his past when he sees his ex-girlfriend (Rachel McAdams) and her new family.  However, even through all the awkwardness he finds himself falling hard for the intense Air-Force watchdog (Emma Stone) assigned to keep an eye on him.
So personally I really liked this film.  I thought it was very entertaining, but like most movies like this it was way too predictable.  However, the film provided some very quality laughs and I personally believe that most critics are being way too hard on this film.  The film thrives mostly on its incredible cast that it has. Each actor brings in their own brand of entertainment that greatly enhances the movie-going experience.  Usually in films like this where there are a lot of big-name actors, I can usually find one that bugs me or that I don't like, however in this film I seemed to enjoy all of the actors.  I couldn't find a single actor in this film not to like and though the film may be very predictable and unoriginal these actors bring life to it and make it worth your time and money.  Another great thing about the film was that it was beautiful to look at.  Hawaii is a gorgeous place and director Cameron Crowe makes sure that shows as much as the landscape and culture as possible.
Though I thought the film was great (even though it was very predictable), the thing I did not like about the film was that it tried to intertwine the character story with ancient Hawaiian myths. Usually, I would be all for this because I love learning about different cultures and the myths that they have; unfortunately it does not work for this film.  Though I thought it was interesting to have this information, it hurt the film as a whole.  It really didn't make a lot of sense most of time and it didn't help the film flow smoothly.  It created a jumbled mess most of time and I honestly believe that if this part had been taken out, this film would have been so much better and probably would have received better reviews from other critics.
Overall, I actually quite enjoyed this film.  It is typical romantic comedy, but I honestly believe that this one is worth your time.  I promise you that you will not be disappointed seeing this film.  The cast does an amazing job and there are some great moments in this film.  If you can get through some of the jumbled mess with the Hawaiian myths, then you will love this film.  I would recommend this film to anyone, but especially those that want a break from this summer's big blockbuster film and just want to relax a little bit.

Thanks again for reading!!! If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment