Saturday, June 6, 2015

Insidious: Chapter 3

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for violence, frightening images, some language and thematic elements.
Run Time: 97 Minutes
My Rating: 4.5/5
So today my wife and I saw Blumhouse Productions' Insidious: Chapter 3 starring Dermot Mulroney (My Best Friend's Wedding), Stefanie Scott (Disney Channel's A.N.T. Farm), Lin Shaye (Insidious), Leigh Whannell (Insidious), and Angus Sampson (Insidious).  Though this film is the third film in the Insidious Saga, it is actually tells the story of what happened before the haunting of the Lambert family.  This film follows Quinn Brenner, a teenager, who is desperately trying to connect with her dead mother.  She asks psychic Elise Rainier (Lin Shaye), to help her, but Elise refuses due to past experiences. However, soon after this encounter Quinn begins to experience paranormal events in her house.  As the attacks get more violent and more frequent, Quinn and her father have to beg Elise to finally use her abilities and contact the other side because if she can't, then Quinn become a lot closer to her mother than she and her father would like.
So personally I loved this film!!!  It was fantastic and I personally would rank it up there with the original film. I was actually quite surprised by how much I liked this film and how well-made it was. Usually once a series reaches its third film the series tends to go downhill, but this one completely exceeded my expectations.  So with that being said, there are many things that make this film great. The first thing that makes this film so good is how well it ties in to other films in the series.  With this being a prequel, I really didn't know how it was going to tie in to the other films and I really wasn't too excited about it, but it did so well.  It actually tied it in so well that personally I would be completely fine if the filmmakers decided to stop the series right here and keep it a trilogy.  There is just a sense of finality after this film that there really is no need to keep going.  However, I wouldn't be mad if they did continue the series, if they wanted.  Another thing that makes this movie so great is the increased presence of Lin Shaye.  She is by far the best part about this series and the more on-screen time that she receives the better the movie is.  She is such a powerhouse in these films and if she wanted to continue with the series, I will be there to support her.
Though I thought the film was excellent, there was really only one thing that I thought the film really lacked.  I thought the film wrapped things up too quickly.  I felt that the film was building up to this major climax, but it went through it so quick that it made it very anticlimactic.  If they would have made the film just a little bit longer, I feel like this would have been a perfect horror movie.
So overall, I loved this film.  I understand that this film is not for everyone.  In fact for most people, this is at the bottom of their list of films to see.  However, if you want to try this film out, I would completely recommend it.  You do not need to see the other films in order to see this film.  It may help in some aspects, but it is not necessary.  If you have seen the other films or you like horror, please go see this film, you will not be disappointed.  It was a fantastic film and a great addition to the horror genre.

Thanks for reading!! If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment