Saturday, December 12, 2015

In the Heart of the Sea

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for intense sequences of action and peril, brief startling violence, and thematic material
Run Time: 121 Minutes
My Rating: 3/5
So yesterday my daughter and I saw Warner Brothers' In the Heart of the Sea starring Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Benjamin Walker (Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter), and Cillian Murphy (The Dark Knight Rises).  It tells the fascinating true story that inspired Herman Melville's epic novel Moby Dick.  In 1820, a New England whaling ship called the Essex embarked on a journey to collect whale oil. However, the crew gets more than they bargained for when their ship is destroyed by a mammoth sized whale.  Now with little hope left in them, the crew of the Essex must come together in order to survive at sea and make it home to their families that love them.
So this film has an incredible story, great acting, and incredible visuals and special effects.  I had no idea that Moby Dick was based on true events, so I thought that was very interesting.  This is a breathtaking story that show the resiliency of mankind and man's strife to survive at all costs.  I cannot imagine what these sailors had to go through, because its almost impossible to believe. However, it was incredible to watch and the acting made it all the better.  Chris Hemsworth I believe gives his best performance (that I have seen) and in any other year, would be a shoo-in for an Oscar. I want to see Hemsworth in more films like this because it really shows off his acting ability.  Finally, the visuals in the film were spectacular.  Seeing that giant whale on screen was amazing and it is because of the visuals that this film needs to be seen in theaters.  I do not recommend waiting until this film is released on home video because it just would not be the same.
Though the film has so many great aspects, it is flawed by its pacing.  The story is incredible, but it felt like I was in the movie for a long time.  With that said, I really don't know where they could have changed the pace, so they did do the best with what they had.  Unfortunately for me it felt a little too long.
Overall, I thought the film was good, but it could have been better.  The story is incredible and Chris Hemsworth gives his greatest performance.  This is definitely a film that you need to see on the big screen, but if I were you I would wait until it goes to the cheap theaters.  Save your money for other films, but don't disregard this film completely.  If you are literature or history buffs, then you will love this film.  In the Heart of the Sea had great potential and in the right mindset, it could have been a classic.

Thanks again for reading!!!  If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment