Friday, February 27, 2015

Focus

MPAA Rating: R for language, some sexual content and brief 
violence.
Run Time: 104 Minutes
My Rating: 2.5/5
So today my wife and I went and saw Warner Bros.' Focus starring Will Smith (Hitch) and Margot Robbie (The Wolf of Wall Street).  The film tells the story of Nicky Spurgeon (Will Smith), an extremely talented con-man, who decides to teach an amateur con artist, Jess (Margot Robbie).  After beginning a budding romance, Nicky decides to let Jess go with no explanation whatsoever. However, three years later, the two of them meet up randomly while Nicky is on a job and as feelings begin to reemerge, the whole job could be compromised.  
So personally, I was really excited when I first saw the trailer for this film.  I am a huge fan of Will Smith and this actually looked like an excellent heist movie.  However, when I watched the film, I found that not to be the case.  The first half of the movie was exactly what I was expecting.  It was entertaining and kept me on the edge of my seat.  It was so exciting seeing Will Smith be this great con-man and seeing how exciting that life could be. However, about half way through the movie, the tone completely changed.  It went from this great heist film to a romance film.  Though for most people this wouldn't be a problem, for me I just wasn't expecting it and I thought that the film had lost its great tone that it had at the beginning.  However, in the last scene, the movie finally regains that great tone. 
Other than that, I thought the film was actually pretty good.  It brought some great laughs and overall, the actors did a great job.  This was a typical Will Smith film and I thought for the most part redeemed him from his embarrassing film After Earth which came out just 2 years ago.  This film truly proves that Will Smith can still lead a movie and do it right.
Overall, I thought the film was good.  The film is getting the above rating because I only liked half the film.  I'm not saying that the other half wasn't good, I just personally didn't like it.  It might of been because I wasn't expecting it and now that you know, you might like it more than I did.  I just thought that the film had a lot going for it at the beginning and then it lost the greatness that it had.  If you are a fan of Will Smith, I would recommend this film because he is excellent in it. However, if you are seeing this film because you think it is a heist film, then you might be as disappointed as I was.  

Thanks again for reading!! If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment