Saturday, February 7, 2015

Jupiter Ascending

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for some violence, sequences of sci-fi action, some suggestive content and partial nudity.
Run Time: 127 Minutes
My Rating: 4/5
So today my wife and I went and saw Warner Bro.'s Jupiter Ascending starring Mila Kunis (Fox's Family Guy), Channing Tatum (22 Jump Street), Sean Bean (The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King), and Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything).  The film was written and directed by Andy and Lana Wachowski, the filmmakers behind The Matrix Trilogy. The film tells the story of Jupiter Jones (Mila Kunis) a human who has been dreaming of something greater in her life than just cleaning toilets.  When she was born it was prophesied that she would amount to great things, but her life has only been followed by one bad break after another.  It is not until Caine (Channing Tatum), a genetically engineered ex-military hunter, comes to find Jupiter to tell her about the fate that has been waiting for her. Jupiter finds out that not only are there more inhabited planets other than Earth, but also she now has an extraordinary new inheritance that could change the balance of the universe forever.  Now, she not only has to save the universe, but she also has to deal with three siblings who are after her inheritance for their own distinctive purposes.
So personally, I have been really excited about this film for a very long time.  In fact, this film was on my Top 10 Most Anticipated Movies of 2015 list.  I have loved the Wachowski's prior work and was excited to see what their new original work would be.  However, for the last couple of weeks all I have heard about this film has been negative, so I went into the film with a lot lower expectations that I probably should have.  Nevertheless, even with my lower expectations, I thought that this film was amazing.  There were so many great things about this film, but probably the most impressive thing was the visual and special effects.  There were a lot of commotion when the film was pushed back on the release schedule from July of last year to this weekend due to finishing the visual and special effects and let me tell you it was well worth the wait.  The spectacle on the screen was amazing to look at.  In fact I would go see this film again just for the visual effects.  Also, I don't usually do this, but if it is at all possible I would definitely recommend you see this on an IMAX screen because I can only imagine that it would be breathtaking.
Another thing that the film did well was the excellent casting.  The cast was absolutely amazing and did an impeccable job.  Channing Tatum keeps getting better and better with every film and this film is no different.  Him and Mila Kunis have such great chemistry that I wouldn't mind seeing them in a film together again.  The other cast members do an amazing job as well.  Another aspect of the film that I thought was spectacular was the incredible world that the Wachowskis created.  This is definitely a world that I would be interested in seeing again if they are able to come up with more stories.
Though I thought the film was great and would probably see it again, there were some things that I did not like.  For one, I thought that the script could have been polished a little bit more.  There were some lines in there where I couldn't help but laugh at how ridiculous it sounded.  Another thing that I didn't like was the fact that there were so many different characters and story lines that I feel never really got explained or resolved.  In fact the entire time I was watching the film I was wishing that they had taken the plot at a slower pace and split the film into multiple films so that I could become more engulfed in the characters and this incredible world.
Overall, I thought that the film was great.  For all the bad press that it is getting, I feel like it doesn't deserve it.  I would definitely recommend people to see this film if (1) you are fans of the Wachowski's or (2) if you like science fiction movies.  If you don't fit into either of these categories you may still enjoy it, but what I can promise you is that you will not see better special effects or visual effects in theaters for many weeks to come!!!

Thanks again for reading!! If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment