Friday, February 6, 2015

The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water

MPAA Rating: PG for mild action and rude humor.
Run Time: 93 Minutes
My Rating: 3/5
So today I went and saw Nickelodeon Movies' The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water based on the popular TV series Spongebob Squarepants.  The film stars Antonio Banderas (Puss in Boots) and the incredible voice talents of Tom Kenny, Bill Fagerbakke, and Roger Bumpass.  The film follows just one of the many adventures of Spongebob and his friends.  The film begins with Plankton once again trying to steal the Krabby Patty Secret Formula.  When he finally gets his grasp on it, the formula is stolen by a greedy pirate.  As Bikini Bottom begins to fall apart without new Krabby Patties, it is up to Spongebob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Squidward, and Sandy to get back the secret formula and save Bikini Bottom.
So before I went and saw this film I had very conflicting emotions. I mean I was a huge fan of Spongebob growing up, but there are specific reasons why I have stopped watching it.  However, after watching this film, I now remember why I loved Spongebob as a kid.  Now I am not saying that I am going to start watching Spongebob everyday, but I will say that for kids this is a highly entertaining film and series.  With that being said, I will make it clear that this film will definitely not recruit more fans to the series, but for those that grew up watching the show and those that currently watch the show, this film will make you happy.  One of the greatest things about this film is the incredible voice talent of Tom Kenny.  He is by far one of the greatest voice actors of all time and just hearing all of the different ways that he can move and change his voice is absolutely amazing.  Another thing that was great about the film is that it actually has some of the best jokes that I have heard in a while.  I was laughing really hard during the film and so was the audience around me; which were mostly adults.
Though I thought that the film was funny and good, there were still things about the film that I didn't really like.  For one, the entire time that I was watching the film I kept wondering why the film was even made.  Yes, this is a great film for children, but in all reality this could have just been shown on Nickelodeon and everyone would have been happy.  Another thing that I didn't like about the film is that it took so many random turns that for me it just got a little bit too out there and crazy.  Most likely kids will enjoy it, but for me it was a too far-fetched even in respect to Spongebob.  
Overall I thought the film was good.  Kids will enjoy it and love seeing the characters that they love on the big screen.  They will love the humor and enjoy being immersed in the city of Bikini Bottom. This also will definitely be a big hit for those adults that grew up watching the film.  If someone were to ask, I would recommend this film, however if you have never liked Spongebob then I would suggest you go see something else because this is not the film for you.  

Thanks again for reading!! If you have any questions, comments or ideas just let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment