Friday, February 20, 2015

Still Alice

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for mature thematic material, and brief language including a sexual reference.
Run Time: 101 Minutes
My Rating: 4/5
So tonight my wife and I saw Sony Classic Pictures' Still Alice starring Julianne Moore (The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1), Alec Baldwin (NBC's 30 Rock), Kate Bosworth (Superman Returns), and Kristen Stewart (The Twilight Saga).  The film follows the story of Alice Howland, a happily married, linguistics professor at Columbia University who discovers that she has early onset Alzheimer's.  As Alice begins dealing with the several symptoms of her diagnosis, her and her family have to dig deep within themselves in order to help each other through this very difficult time.
So first off, I want to say that I thought that this film was very well made and had some incredible acting.  The film tackled some very important and sensitive issues and it accomplished this very daunting task in a very tactful and appropriate way.  There is no small amount of emotion in this film and no matter who you are, young or old, this film will touch your heart in more ways than one.  This can only be accomplished by the incredible acting by its very talented cast.  Julianne Moore gives a riveting performance as Alice.  You can see how emotional she gets as the illness slowly takes over Alice. Julianne Moore has been receiving a lot of love for this performance and is the expected winner at the Academy Awards this Sunday and I agree that she gives a very powerful performance.  She is what brings this movie together.
Though the film was really good, there were some things that I yearned for.  One thing is that even though the film had a very talented cast, I was just expecting more from the other cast members.  I felt like there was so much more potential, but with that being said, they still did an excellent job. Another thing that I did not like was how the movie ended.  The film just kind of ended and I was left wanting more.  I wanted some sort of closure and I never got it.  There were so many things that I wanted answers to, but unfortunately I never got them.
Overall, I really liked this film.  It had its flaws, but it was still a pretty great film.  This is a very emotional film and I would recommend this film to anyone.  This film will hit close to home for a lot of people.  This is a very sensitive subject and this film portrays it beautifully.

Thanks again for reading!! If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment