Friday, October 2, 2015

Hotel Transylvania 2

MPAA Rating: PG for some scary images, action and rude humor
Run Time: 89 Minutes
My Rating: 4/5
So today my daughter and I saw Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures Animation's Hotel Transylvania 2 starring the incredible voice talents of Adam Sandler (Pixels), Andy Samberg (Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine), Selena Gomez (Getaway), Kevin James (Pixels), David Spade (Grown Ups 2), Megan Mullally (NBC's Parks and Recreation), and Nick Offerman (NBC's Parks and Recreation). The film picks up a little while after the first film ended.  Mavis and Jonathan are now married and have a little boy, Dennis.  However, much to Dracula's dismay, Dennis is almost five and his vampire fangs haven't grown in.  With only a week left until it is too late, Dracula and his friends try everything in their power to help Dennis or else Dracula may lose his family forever.
I thought this film was great.  I loved the first one and when I heard they were making a sequel, I was so excited!!  Fortunately, I was not disappointed.  There are so many great aspects to it, that it is honestly hard not to like it.  For one thing, the voice actors are fantastic.  They each bring their own personalities to their characters that allows the audience to relate and connect better with the characters.  It feels like the actors were having so much fun which makes this animated feature one to see.  Another great aspect is the script.  It does have its flaws, but overall, the script is hilarious and reminded my why I loved the first one so much.  Finally, the animation is gorgeous.  The film is beautiful to watch and a captivating piece of art.
Though I loved it, Hotel Transylvania 2 has one major flaw.  As I mentioned above, though the script is great and is hilarious, its major flaw is that it is too reminiscent of the first film.  The sequel tries to explain to the audience the exact same message that the first film portrayed.  Besides a different story line, Hotel Transylvania 2 seems way too familiar.  This is very disappointing to me and I wished the writers would have been a little bit more creative.
Overall, I thought it was a very entertaining time at the movies.  There were some great moments both for adults and for kids.  This is something the whole family will enjoy.  I would definitely recommend this to everyone.  Though this isn't the greatest animated film ever, it is still a clever film that will help bring the friendly Halloween spirit to your October.

Thanks again for reading!!!  If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment