Thursday, November 19, 2015

Love the Coopers

MPAA Rating: PG - 13 for thematic elements, language and some sexuality
Run Time: 107 Minutes
My Rating: 3.5/5
So yesterday I saw CBS Films and Lionsgate's Love the Coopers starring John Goodman (Monsters Inc.), Diane Keaton (Mad Money), Ed Helms (NBC's The Office), Alex Borstein (Fox's Family Guy), Amanda Seyfried (Les Miserables), Alan Arkin (Argo), Marisa Tomei (Fox's Empire), Olivia Wilde (Fox's House), and Jake Lacy (NBC's The Office).  It details the adventures of four generations of the Cooper family as they try to make it home and get ready for a big family Christmas.  While many mishaps and unexpected visitors get in their way, they come to realize that how important their family bond and the holiday season can be.
So I surprisingly really liked this film.  It had its quirks and its downsides, but overall it was a pretty enjoyable holiday film.  I know I say this a lot, but the cast in Love the Coopers was perfect.  Venus Kanani and Mary Vernieu, the casting directors, did an absolutely amazing job.  Each actor is cast in the perfect role for them and they all seemed comfortable on the screen.  The entire time I couldn't stop smiling at how perfect the cast came together and I want to watch this film again and see a sequel just because of this amazing cast.  That is saying a lot because I am not the biggest fan of at least one of the actors in this film.  Another great thing about this film was that it actually was pretty funny.  Though it wasn't as funny as I would have hoped, it still had some great moments that were pretty memorable.
Though the cast was great and it had some funny moments, the film still had its flaws.  For one thing, the film was overly dramatic.  There were some things in it that annoyed me so much because it felt like the writer was trying to add every dysfunctional aspect of a family into this one.  There was so much dysfunction that it was too unrealistic, formulaic and predictable.
So overall this was a great holiday film and one that I see myself watching again.  The cast was incredible and were perfect in their roles.  This movie may not be for everyone, but if you liked films such as The Family Stone and Surviving Christmas, then you will like this film as well and won't be disappointed.

Thanks again for reading!!!  If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment