Monday, April 20, 2015

"Frozen" Lawsuit

Hey everyone, so if you know me, then you know that I am a HUGE Disney fan.  I can quote pretty much every Disney movie and could probably walk around Disneyland and Disney World blindfolded.  Maybe I should be embarrassed by that, but I think I am more proud about it than anything.  It is truly a passion of mine and will be until the day I die.  With that being said, I was introduced to an article today about some legal issues that Disney is facing right now.
Unless you have lived under a rock for the past year and a half, it is pretty safe to say that you have either seen or heard of Disney's billion dollar animated movie Frozen.  This film has won many film awards and many music awards for its #1 song "Let It Go." Well, in March 2014, Disney was sued by Kelly Wilson because she believes that the Frozen trailer is significantly similar to her short animated film "The Snowman." She is claiming copyright infringement and for those of you who don't know the standard of of showing similarity is enormously high.  However after over a year of litigation, Disney has yet to get the case dismissed.  If you want to read the full article, here is the link.
Personally, I have watched the short film and the trailer in question and I can see the similarities, but I don't feel like it is a direct Copyright infringement for a number of reasons.  Yes, there are some very great similarities, but there are some obvious differences that you can see as well. I do believe that Disney should win this case, but it will be interesting to see what happens in the coming months. So with all of this being said, I have posted the links to both "The Snowman" and the "Frozen" trailer and I would love to hear what you think.  Do you think that the two are substantially similar or do you think Disney should win.  Please comment below or on one of the many links that I will be posting either on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn and I will post the results on my Facebook page next Monday!!!

The Snowman

Frozen Trailer

Thanks again for reading!!! I can't wait to hear your thoughts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment