Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Age of Adaline

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for a suggestive comment
Run Time: 110 Minutes
My Rating: 3.5/5
So tonight my wife and I were invited to see a special sneak preview of Liongate's The Age of Adaline starring Blake Lively (CW's Gossip Girl), Michael Huisman (Wild), Harrison Ford (Ender's Game), and Ellen Burstyn (Interstellar).  The film follows the story of Adaline Bowman, a 29 year old woman who after a terrible car accident has miraculously stayed 29 years of age for the past eight decades.  Due to this miracle, Adaline has had to live in solitude, not getting close to anyone because of fear that they might reveal her secret.  However when she meets Ellis Jones and falls in love her passion for life begins to spark again. Though everything that she has tried to keep secret may begin to unfold during a weekend at his parents house, which causes Adaline to make a decision that may change her long life forever.
Ok, so personally, when I saw the trailer for this film I had absolutely no desire to see it.  I thought it looked stupid and boring.  I was planning on skipping this film altogether. However, when I was invited to see this free screening of the film I figured as long as it was free I might as well give it a shot.  Now after seeing the film, I am quite glad I did.  This film completely surprised me and actually was quite entertaining from beginning to end.  This film is filled with so much emotion and Blake Lively's acting is quite stunning.  Probably the most surprising part for me was how much I cared and felt for Adaline.  Seeing her live her life in solitude was sad, but when she actually found love, I can't believe how much I was rooting for her.  This all should be attributed to Blake Lively's incredible performance.  She truly is amazing in this role and it is something completely different than what you are used to seeing her in.  She is very sophisticated and compelling that I honestly believe that she is the reason why I and all the audience members were so captivated in the film.  Honestly, I can't remember a film where the audience was so invested in a film that they actually yelled out and talked to to the screen.  Though at times it was annoying, it just shows how intense and intriguing this film truly is.
Though I was captivated by the film, probably the thing I did not like the most about this film was the narrator.  I understand his purpose in the film, he just kind of annoyed me.  There were some things that he was saying that I thought were not necessary and somethings that I truly didn't care about.  He did serve a purpose in explaining some things, but I just think that they could have cut his lines in half and I still would have been satisfied.
Overall, I thought that the film was good.  Is it the greatest film that you will see this year? Definitely not, but it is quite entertaining.  This is definitely a film that is not for everyone.  Guys that means you.  Though it does have its moments, this is a pure chick-flick and one that girls will love.  It does have an intriguing story and like I said before, it was a lot better than what I was expecting.  I had no intention of liking this film, but fortunately I did.  This is one that I would recommend seeing, but this one is mainly for women.

No comments:

Post a Comment