Friday, April 17, 2015

Unfriended

MPAA Rating: R for violent content, pervasive language, some sexuality, and drug and alcohol use - all involving teens.
Run Time: 82 Minutes
My Rating: 4/5
So today I saw Universal Pictures' and Blumhouse Productions' Unfriended starring Shelley Hennig (Days of Our Lives), Will Peltz (Paranoia), and Renee Olstead (ABC Family's The Secret Life of an American Teenager).  The film tells the terrifying story of six high school friends, who while video-chatting one night, receive a Skype message from one of their classmates who killed herself exactly one year ago that night.  What seems like just a prank, turns into a horrific nightmare as the group of teens are forced to face their inner-demons.  Though none of them are as clean as what they seem to be and as this supernatural demon keeps taunting them, they soon realize that if they don't start playing by the rules they could all wind-up dead before dawn.
So as everyone knows, I am a huge fan of horror.  With that being said, when I first saw the trailer for this film I was ecstatic.  I thought it was very innovative and a great direction for genre.  So, after watching the film, it was just as innovative and just as entertaining as I thought it would be.  The most unique thing about the film is the way that it is filmed.  The entire time you are watching this film, you are looking at a girl's laptop screen.  Everything that she is doing, you can see.  Everything that she types, you can see.  The thing that I really liked about it was that when she is Skyping with her friends, there are multiple screens that you can watch.  You could literally watch this film 6 different times and see the story in a a different point of view each time.  Obviously it all leads to the same conclusion, but it is still a great technique used by the filmmakers.  Another thing that I loved about this film is that each of the materials used in the film are actually materials that everyone uses in daily life.  Unlike most films who don't bother obtaining rights to use certain things and end up making up their own social media outlets, this film actually took the time to obtain the rights to use the social media outlets that we use; Facebook, Skype, Youtube, Google Chrome and Instant Messaging (IM) are just as important characters in this film as the actors.  After watching this film it will definitely make you a little hesitant to check your News Feed on Facebook.  This film has definitely stuck with me since I have watched it and personally, that is why I absolutely loved this film.
Though I thought that this was a very innovative way to tell the story, it definitely had its difficulties. For me the biggest thing that bothered me about the entire film was that by the end of it I had a headache.  Just like when I stare at a computer screen for too long and I get a headache, the same thing happened to me in this film.  Though it was annoying that I got a headache, that still didn't stop me from enjoying this film
Overall, I thought the film was excellent.  I would definitely see this film again.  This is definitely one that horror fans will like.  Though the film doesn't have major scares, there is definitely a lot of suspense.  This probably won't be a film that will win people over to the genre, but I definitely would recommend people to see this film just to see the great innovation in filmmaking.  Overall, this is a great addition to the horror genre and film in general.

Thanks again for reading!! If you have any questions, comments or ideas just let me know!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment