Friday, April 10, 2015

Woman in Gold

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for some thematic elements and brief strong language.
Run Time: 109 Minutes
My Rating: 5/5
So today my wife and I saw The Weinstein Company and BBC Films' Woman in Gold starring Helen Mirren (The Queen), Ryan Reynolds (The Proposal), Daniel Bruhl (Rush), and Katie Holmes (Dawson's Creek). The film tells the inspiring true story of Maria Altman, a Austrian-American woman who fled Austria during the Nazi regime due to her religious status.  Now after 60 years since she left Austria and being the last living member of her family, she seeks out to regain a world famous painting of her aunt that was taken from her Austrian home by the Nazis.  With 60 years of Austrian tradition and the country of Austria against her, she seeks the help of a young lawyer to finally reclaim what is rightfully hers.
This film is absolutely fantastic. It is an incredible story and it is brought to life quite remarkably by its incredible cast.  As always Helen Mirren gives a riveting performance and makes it her own. I love Helen Mirren and think that she is an amazing actress and this performance is no different. She brings so much emotion and passion to the role that it is hard not to be just as emotional as she is. This performance becomes even better through her incredible chemistry with her young lawyer co-star, Ryan Reynolds. Personally, I thought that this was one of Ryan Reynolds' greatest performances of his career.  After seeing this performance, I want to see Ryan Reynolds take up more of these kinds of roles.  I believe that either one of them could receive acting nominations when next years award season comes around.
Of all the incredible talent that is in this film, my only problem with the film was it's pacing. To me, it seemed like the film moved at a very slow pace however, it was easy to overlook because of the incredible story that was being told.
Overall, I loved this film.  This is a great film for everyone to see.  If you want a good, inspiring film to watch in the theaters, this is it.  The acting is incredible and the story is captivating.  I will definitely be watching this film again.  You definitely need to see this film because I promise you that it is worth your time and your money!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment