Friday, January 30, 2015

A Most Violent Year

MPAA Rating: R for language and some violence.
Run Time: 125 Minutes
My Rating: 3.5/5
So today I went and saw A24's A Most Violent Year starring Oscar Isaac (Inside Llewyn Davis), Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty), David Oyelowo (Selma), and Elyes Gabel (CBS's Scorpion). The film is a gripping crime drama that tells the story of Abel Morales, an immigrant, trying to expand his business in New York City in 1981 which is known as being one of the most violent years in the city's history.  Unfortunately for Abel, the violence and destruction of the day affects his business personally and threatens to take down everything that he has built.
So, I didn't really know what to expect when I walked into the theater.  I had only seen one preview for this film and had heard that many people and critics that the believed that this film was going to be a serious Oscar contender, but it was not nominated for anything.  So I really didn't know how I was going to like it. Then as I sat in the theater and the movie began I thought that it was going to be a long movie.  The film started off really slow, but eventually picked up and I was on the edge of my seat for the rest of the film.  Personally, the subject matter was and will never be something that I will be truly interested in, but somehow this film kept me hooked the entire time.  Another great thing about this film is the impeccable acting from all of the cast.  One performance that stands above the rest though is Jessica Chastain as Abel Morales' wife and financial bookkeeper.  Everyone thought that she would be at least nominated for a Supporting Actress Oscar and personally I agree.  She definitely deserved it and the Academy definitely missed their opportunity to recognize such an amazing performance.
Though I really liked the film, like I said above, the thing that I didn't like about the film was the fact that I thought that it started off really slow.  Though it picked up after the first 20 or so minutes, I thought that it was going to be a long day.  Other than that I thought that this was a very entertaining and gripping crime drama.
Overall I thought that this was a really good film.  I would definitely recommend this to people that like crime dramas or those that like anyone of the films actors.  Other than that, this film is definitely not for everyone.  However that being said, if you have time and have seen the other films at the theater I would definitely recommend that you try this one out!!

Thanks again for reading.  If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment