Thursday, January 1, 2015

Big Eyes

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for thematic elements and brief strong 
language.
Run Time: 105 Minutes
My Rating: 4/5
So today my wife and I decided to go and see The Weinstein Company's Big Eyes starring Amy Adams (American Hustle) and Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained).  The film was directed by Tim Burton (The Nightmare Before Christmas).  The film tells the true story of Margaret Keane, the phenomenal painter from the 1950's who is responsible for the famous "big eyes" artwork.  The film details how she was swept off her feet by her husband Walter Keane and how he latter took advantage of her by claiming credit for her work. The film ends by detailing the legal proceedings that followed.
So personally I really enjoyed the film.  When I first heard about this film and found out that Tim Burton was directing it, I was really interested in how it was all going to work because this definitely is not a film that I would picture him doing.  I was quite surprised with the result.  It definitely isn't a film that Tim Burton usually does, however he still is able to add his own little quirkiness in the film which I believe completely make the film.  I have loved all of Tim Burton's movies and this on is no different.  For those that aren't huge fans of Tim Burton, this film is definitely toned down a lot from his typical showings, so I would definitely give this film a shot before you completely write it off.
However, though I went to the film because of Tim Burton, I stayed because of the incredible acting by both Amy Adams and Christoph Waltz.  Though I think that neither of them will win many awards for their performances, I do believe that they both have good shots of at least being nominated.  Amy Adams was nominated for a Golden Globe for this performance where she probably has a good shot of winning.  They both do incredible jobs and both deserve more praise than what they are getting.
So though I thought the film was amazing, I couldn't help but be annoyed the entire time.  Now don't get me wrong, the film was great and me being annoyed has nothing to do with the film itself, I was more annoyed by the actual events.  Seeing Walter take complete control over Margaret and her being so passive about everything just made me so mad.  That isn't to say that the film was bad, in fact if anything the actors do such a great job that they make you feel exactly how they want you to feel.
Overall I thought the film was great.  This is definitely one that you should go see.  I probably wouldn't take children to it, not because of content but because they probably wouldn't find it as entertaining as adults would.  If you go see this film, you won't be disappointed.  

Thanks again for reading.  If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment