Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for some disturbing and frightening images, and for thematic elements.
Run Time: 98 Minutes
My Rating: 1.5/5
So today I went and saw Relativity Media's The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death starring Jeremy Irvine (War Horse) and Helen McCrory (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows).  The film is the sequel to the 2012 smash hit The Woman in Black.  The film picks up 40 years after the events of the first movie right in the middle of World War II.  With the war raging on, a group of kids without a home are taken to the old Eel Marsh house to wait out the war.  While there they awaken the house's darkest curse........The Woman in Black.
So you can ask my wife, I loved The Woman in Black back in 2012.  I saw it 3 times in theaters which is really unusual for me and horror films.  I thought it was amazing.  However I thought that the film ended perfectly.  I couldn't stop talking about how great the ending was.  To this day I still think that it is probably one of the best endings for a horror movie of all time.  So when I first heard that they were making a sequel to The Woman in Black I had my reservations.  I didn't know how they were going to continue it since the first one ended so nicely.  However when I saw the first trailer for this film I was really excited.  It had great suspense and even a few scares.  Unfortunately my first thoughts were correct, this film had no reason being made.  The story just wasn't there and the Woman in Black barely made an appearance.  Having the film set in World War II was great and it got people back to the Eel Marsh house.  However usually in a sequel there is more information given about the haunting spirit, unfortunately there is no new information.  In fact there is even less information and if you haven't see the first film, you would be greatly confused. Also all the Woman in Black mythology set up by the first film is completely overturned in this film. In addition, the I still have no idea why they titled it Angel of Death.  They did nothing to set that up. Finally, the titular character, the Woman in Black, barely makes an appearance.  I think that she maybe is seen three times throughout the entire film, which is way less than the first film.
Now although I thought the film was really bad and the story was horrible, there were a few good scares.  Also for the script that they got, the acting is quite good.  Other than that, I can't really think of anything else that is positive about this film.
Overall, if you couldn't already tell, I didn't like the film.  I wouldn't recommend people to go see this film unless you are an avid horror fan that is used to being disappointed by horror films.  This definitely isn't one I would watch again and one that you shouldn't waste your time or money seeing.

Thanks again for reading.  If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!1

No comments:

Post a Comment