Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Selma

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for disturbing thematic material including violence, a suggestive moment, and brief strong language.
Run Time: 128 Minutes
My Rating: 4.5/5
So tonight my wife and I went and saw Cloud Eight Films' Selma starring David Oyelowo (Interstellar), Carmen Ejogo (The Purge: Anarchy), Oprah Winfrey (Lee Daniel's The Butler), and Tom Wilkinson (Belle).  The story tells the true story of Martin Luther King Jr's march from Selma, Alabama to Montgomery, Alabama in order to bring about the Voting Rights Act of 1965.  It details his discussions with President Johnson, the brutal beatings of his followers, and the overwhelming movement that completely altered history.
I personally really enjoyed this film.  There were many great things about it that made it really hard not to love.  One thing that I loved about this film was the story.  In grade school the only thing that we really learn about the legendary Martin Luther King Jr. is his march on Washington and his "I Have A Dream" Speech.  Other than that most people don't really know who he was as a man and his other accomplishments.  This film tell an incredible story from his life that I believe should also be taught in all schools.  The Voting Rights Act of 1965 changed the American landscape forever and the story behind it should be taught.  This story is truly inspiring especially in the way that all of America came together for the cause.  Another great thing about this film was the breathtaking performance by David Oyelowo as the legendary Martin Luther King Jr.  His portrayal is spot-on and completely worthwhile.  It is a performance that I could watch again and again.  He should definitely be recognized for this portrayal.  It's a real shame that there hasn't been many films that portray Martin Luther King Jr., but if Hollywood decides to make more films from his life I would definitely recommend David Oyelowo to reprise his role.
Though I thought the film was spectacular, there are things that I didn't really like.  One thing is that there has been a lot of controversy surrounding the film in the past few weeks.  Now I am not even going to pretend like I know exactly all the details of Martin Luther King Jr's life, but even while I was watching the film I could see some very controversial aspects that didn't really have to be added. If anything I thought that they distracted from the overall plot of the film.  Another thing about the film that I didn't like was that I felt like there were moments in the film where it dragged on and on. It was very slow at some parts and it made the film seem longer than it actually was.
Overall, I thought the film was great.  I would definitely watch it again and recommend it for people to watch.  This film is definitely not for everyone, but if you decide to go see it, I promise that you won't be disappointed

Thanks again for reading!!! If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment