Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Duff

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for crude and sexual material throughout, some language and teen partying.
Run Time: 100 Minutes
My Rating: 4.5/5
Hey ya'll, so tonight my wife and I got invited to a special early screening of CBS Films' The DUFF starring Bella Thorne (Blended), Mae Whitman (NBC's Parenthood), and Robbie Amell (CW's The Flash).  The film tells the story of Bianca, a senior in high school who is content right where she is at.  However, her life is torn apart when she learns that her entire school sees her as a DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) to her prettier, more popular friends.  Desperate to change her image she enlists the help of her neighbor and former friend Wesley, the high school jock.  As her senior year is becoming more terrible by the minute, it is up to Bianca with the help of Wesley to learn how to stand up to the popular kids and remind everyone that no matter what image or look you may have, we are all someone's DUFF.
So when I first saw the trailer for this film, I thought it looked good, but I thought that it had the potential to being an absolute mess.  So when I received the invitation to go see this film early and for free I decided that even if I didn't like it then I wouldn't be too disappointed since I wasn't losing any money.  After seeing this movie though, I would pay to go see it again.  Yes even full price.  This film has a great story, a fantastic young cast, and is absolutely hilarious.  The reason the story is so amazing is because it deals with real issues that affect our society today.  Having insecurities about body images has always been an issue in life.  What this movie does is teach people that really no matter what we do or how we look there will always be someone better looking or in better shape, but that shouldn't matter because we need to accept and be happy with who we are and if we do so people will like us more as well.  Another great thing about this film is its cast.  They have such great chemistry.  All the actors are next generation Hollywood actors and seeing what they do in this film makes me really excited for new movies starring these newcomers.  They all should have bright futures ahead of them which they do deserve.  /Finally, this film is absolutely hilarious.  From its very first minute to the end credits this film delivers quality laughs.  There hasn't been a PG-13 teenage comedy in a long time and it was a nice breath of fresh air to see it.
Though I thought the film was great, I have to admit my only criticism is that I thought that it was a little bit cheesy in some parts.  Though I thought that this just added to the uniqueness of the film, it did get annoying at some parts.
Overall, I loved this film.  I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard at a teenage comedy. I will admit that this film is not for everyone (especially those that don't like teenage comedies), but what I do know is that those that go and see it will not be disappointed.  There was quite a diverse crowd in our theater and every single person was laughing or at least smiling by the end.  This film gets my full recommendation and maybe even my money once it eventually comes out.

The DUFF will be released in theaters everywhere on February 20, 2015.

Thanks again for reading!! If you have any questions, ideas, or comments just let me know!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment