Monday, January 19, 2015

Blackhat

MPAA Rating: R for violence and some language.
Run Time: 133 Minutes
My Rating: 2/5
So tonight I went and saw Legendary Pictures' Blackhat starring Chris Hemsworth (Thor) and Viola Davis (ABC's How to Get Away with Murder).  The film was directed by Michael Mann (Ali).  The film follows Nick Hathaway (Chris Hemsworth), a extremely talented computer hacker who finds himself released from his 15 year prison sentence in order to help both the U.S. and China after a cyber-attack hit a factory in China.  With his freedom on the line he has to not only keep the control of power balanced between both the U.S. and China, but also find the hacker/cyber-terrorist or else he may find himself behind bars once again.
So personally this film was not for me.  When I first saw the trailer for this film I was really excited.  It looked like a good thriller, but unfortunately the trailer was way more exciting than the movie itself.  Now before I talk about all the things I didn't like about the film, I have to admit there were some things that I thought were great about the film.  First, I thought the concept behind the film was brilliant.  I honestly believe that all of us need to be conscious about what we put online and how much we rely on our technology because like shown in this film it can be destroyed or hacked into at any moment.  I mean just last month we saw a company suffer much controversy and bad press because of a cyber-attack.  This affected one company, but it could have easily affected more.  So I thought the concept was great, I just wish that it was executed better.  Another thing that I liked about the film was that the acting was actually pretty good.  I thought that for the script that they were given the actors did an amazing job.  Actually it was the great acting that kept me in the theater the entire time.
Though the concept was interesting and the acting was great, like I said before I just didn't like the film as a whole all that much.  To be completely honest I got really bored while watching the film. There was so much that happened in the film's first and second act that I had a hard time actually believing that the third act would actually happen.  I mean by the third and final act I thought that the characters really had no point to continue on.  Also I thought that the film too long.  There were a lot of scenes and a whole separate subplot that they added that I thought just weren't necessary.
Overall, I thought the film was just ok.  I probably would only watch this film again if someone that I was with really wanted to.  If you have absolutely nothing else to do and you have seen everything else in the theaters than I would recommend you see it.  Also if you really think that this film is for you I would recommend waiting for it to come to the dollar theater.  But then again you can make your own decisions.

Thanks again for reading.  If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment