Saturday, July 11, 2015

Minions

MPAA Rating: PG for action and rude humor
Run Time: 91 Minutes
My Rating: 3.5/5
So today my wife and I saw Illumination Entertainment's Minions the spin-off to their hugely popular Despicable Me franchise. The film stars the voice talents of Sandra Bullock (The Blind Side), Jon Hamm (AMC's Mad Men), Michael Keaton (Robocop), and Allison Janney (Spy).  The film tells the story of everybody's favorite yellow creatures, the Minions, before they teamed up with their current master Gru.  It follows three of the Minions, Kevin, Bob, and Stuart as they search for their next leader.  After attending Villian-Con, they are recruited by the greatest villain of all time, Scarlet Overkill, to steal the Queen of England's crown. However, Scarlet gets more than she bargains for when she sends her new sidekicks to do her bidding.
Personally, I thought this film was great.  The film knows exactly what it is and it makes the most out of it.  It doesn't try to overreach and this is definitely the film that audiences want to see.  From the very first Despicable Me, everyone fell in love with the Minions and now, after much clamor, they are finally getting their own movie.  So you shouldn't be surprised that when you see this film it is just the Minions doing stupid things over and over again. That is not to say that it isn't funny because it is, but you just shouldn't be expecting anything else going into this movie.  The film is hilarious though and it has laughs for both kids and adults. With that being said, I personally believe the Minions were not the best part of the show.  In my personal opinion, I was more intrigued by the excellent voice-work of Sandra Bullock and Jon Hamm.  They are excellent in this film and the reason why this film is so good.  I never pictured Sandra Bullock doing something like this, but she succeeds in every way possible.  She and Jon Hamm are definitely the reason why I would go see this film again.
So even though I thought this film was great, the reason I am not giving it a better review is because there just is nothing new to it.  I was hoping for the greatness of the Despicable Me movies, but it just wasn't there.  Also, I have also seen better animated films.  There is nothing wrong with this film by any means, but I was just expecting more.  However, in all reality if it weren't for the incredible voice actors, this film would not have gotten the rating that it did.
Overall, I thought this film was very entertaining and one that the whole family will enjoy.  The kids will be entertained the whole time.  This film doesn't have any deeper meanings like the other animated film out right now, Inside Out, but it does have very funny moments.  I would definitely see this film again and recommend that everyone see it!!!

Thanks again for reading!!!  If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!1

No comments:

Post a Comment