Friday, July 10, 2015

The Gallows,

MPAA Rating: R for some disturbing violent content and terror
Run Time: 81 Minutes
My Rating: 3.5/5
So today I saw New Line Cinema and Blumhouse Productions' The Gallows starring Cassidy Gifford (Gods Not Dead) and newcomers Reese Mishler, Pfeifer Brown, and Ryan Shoos.  The film tells the story of a group of friends who sneak into their high school after hours, the night before the school's production of 'The Gallows' in order to destroy the set.  However, they get more than what they bargain for when the spirit of a student who accidentally died 20 years earlier starts haunting them and killing them one by one.
So from the moment I saw the first trailer for this film, I was excited to see it.  Fortunately, the film lived up to all my expectations.  This film is creepy and for me to say that actually means something. Horror movies usually don't creep me out, but this one did.  I know that this film probably won't receive a sequel, but if it does I honestly believe that Charlie (this new spirit) could be the next horror icon.  The filmmakers did such a good job with this film and I believe that this is the best horror film of the year so far.  This film had so many things going for it and probably has one the best endings for a horror film ever!!!  The one thing that I was quite surprised about was the cast.  The actors are relatively newcomers and they did great.  I was quite impressed and wouldn't mind seeing them in future films.
Though I thought the film was great, the film still had its bad moments.  Fro one thing, the film took a while to get started and to set up what was going on.  The opening scene was great, but then the film wasted to much time setting up the rest of the story that by the time the horror actually started there just wasn't enough time left.  Also, I am kind of sick of the found-footage horror genre.  I understand that it is a great way to save money, but the genre has just gotten old.  When it was first released, the genre was so new and exciting, but now there are so many films that do this that it has just been overused.
Overall, I thought that the film was great, but it still had its flaws.  This is a great film to watch if you want to get into the horror genre and a great horror film for those that already love the genre.  I would definitely watch this show again and it is definitely one that you should go see!!!!

Thanks again for reading!!! If you have any questions, comments, or ideas, just let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment