Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

MPAA Rating: PG - 13 for sexual content, drug material, language and some thematic elements
Run Time: 105 Minutes
My Rating: 1.5/5
So last night I saw Fox Searchlight Pictures' Me and Earl and the Dying Girl starring Thomas Mann (Beautiful Creatures), Olivia Cooke (A&E's Bates Motel), Nick Offerman (NBC's Parks and Recreation), and Connie Britton (ABC's Nashville).  The film tells the story of a boy and girl who become friends after she finds out that she has cancer.  As their friendship grows, they find that though they may not have a lot of time together, they can still learn a lot from one another.
So I am not going to lie, I was really disappointed in this film. Before seeing this show, I had heard a lot about it.  It got rave reviews during the Sundance Film Festival and a lot of people have liked this show.  So I don't know if I just wasn't in the mood or what, but I honestly did not like this film.  I was so bored and actually I had thought about leaving during the film.  This never happens when I am in the theater, so the fact that this of all films was the one to do this completely baffles me.  There were many things that I did not like about the film.  For one thing, the film was just weird.  You can definitely tell that this film came out of Sundance.  There are a lot of weird moments in the film that I thought distracted the audience from the film's true goal.  Also, I thought the film brought nothing new to the table.  There was nothing that made me truly excited to continue watching the film.
Though this film wasn't for me, there were still some things that the movie did well.  The actors were fantastic.  This film definitely showed off each actors strengths and I honestly think that it was the reason why I continued watching the film.  They were the only thing that made the film watchable and the only reason I can think of that people liked this film.
So as you can tell, I really did not like this film.  I don't know why, but this film was just not for me. If people were to ask me if they should see this film, I would tell them to stay far away from this film. I am shocked that I am actually saying this.  This is the type of film that I usually love and beg people to go see!!  However, in my opinion there are so many better movies at the theater right now and if you have the choice between seeing this film and going and seeing another film for a second time, go to the other film!!

Thanks again for reading!!  If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment