Saturday, July 25, 2015

Southpaw

MPAA Rating: R for language throughout, and some violence
Run Time: 123 Minutes
My Rating: 4.5/5
So today my wife and I saw The Weinstein Company's Southpaw starring Jake Gyllenhaal (Nightcrawler), Rachel McAdams (Aloha), and Forest Whitaker (Lee Daniel's The Butler).  The film tells the story of Billy Hope, a boxer, whose life spins out-of-control after the unexpected death of his wife.  While trying to deal with the grief of losing his wife, Billy begins making decisions that eventually lead to his daughter being taken away from him and put under the control of child protection services. So with his life completely in shambles, Billy turns to trainer Tick Wills in order to put is life together and bring his daughter back home.
So personally, I really enjoyed this film and everything about it.  I was really intrigued from the moment I saw the trailer and saw Jake Gyllenhaal's physical transformation; I was not disappointed. The story was amazing and it moved at a great pace.  The absolute best part of the film is the cast. They all do a spectacular job and they truly bring this film together.  Jake Gyllenhaal's performance is so captivating and it is hard not to watch him on the screen.  I honestly believe that he has an excellent chance of getting an Oscar come next year.  I thought that he should have been nominated last year and after this performance I don't know how the Academy can disregard him again.  It would be a true shame because he gives one of the best and probably his most emotional performance of his career and definitely pulls the audience along for an incredible ride.
In my opinion, the only reason this film didn't receive a perfect score is because the film was too formulaic and too predictable.  This is your typical underdog sports film.  There is a lot more drama in this film than most, but from the very beginning of the film you know exactly what is going to happen.  However with that being said, the film does entertain and makes you truly cheer for the underdog.
Overall, I loved this film and would definitely see it again.  This is a film that I think all sports fans need to see.  This is an incredible film with some of the best acting of the year.  Jake Gyllenhaal gives a breathtaking performance and it is one that should be seen by all.

Thanks again for reading!!!  If you have any questions, comments, or ideas just let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment